Want to see the world but you don’t have a lot of money? Try these ideas for cheap ways to get you abroad and start living your dream!
Ok, being broke is not the end of the world. There are still ways to travel abroad with very little money or even earn money as you go! Here are some popular ideas to travel long term on a tight budget.
- Volunteer abroad. There are countless organizations around the world that offer volunteer opportunities from building schools in Africa to wildlife conservation in Thailand. Do your homework and find project that speaks to you. Make sure however that the program focuses on sustainable development and a cooperative effort with the community. Unfortunately, some organizations operate more like a Spring Break, money-making scheme than a true non for profit.
- Seasonal Jobs. Working a seasonal gig abroad is a great way to travel and make money on the go. Many countries offer Working-Holiday visas for young people to come and work at hotels, resorts or even operate a ski lift. For the select few, this is a way of life. To work for 6 months out of the year, and travel the rest of the time is an incredible lifestyle. Here is a popular site for those with permanent wanderlust. coolworks.com
- Study Abroad. Still in school? Take this opportunity to study in another country. There are scholarships and grants available for those who wish to spend a semester abroad. Talk to your University and find out what opportunities are available for you!
- Work for food and accommodation. Growing in popularity is the barter system of travel, in which you exchange work for a meal and a place to stay. A number of websites including Workaway.info and Worldpackers.com offer a wide variety of employment, lengths of stay and locations around the world. These two resources, in my opinion have good reviews and are worth checking out.
- Teach English. A very common way for people to both live in another country and earn money is to teach English abroad. Getting your TEFL certificate is now easier than ever and English teachers are in high demand. Some countries like China, South Korea and Saudi Arabia even pay for your flight and offer yearly bonuses! Do your research though, not all programs may offer this. Here are two places to start, bridgetefl.com and interexchange.org
- Become a Digital Nomad. With the growing number of businesses which operate completely online, you could market your talents as a freelancer or start your own company and become completely location independent. Upwork.com is a great website for writers, social media experts and bloggers, among others.
You don’t have to win the lottery to travel the world. It has been proven time and time again that to follow your passion in life, all you need is hard work, persistence and a will to chase your dreams.
What are some of your ideas for traveling abroad on the cheap? Comment below!
All photos in this post are courtesy of pixabay.com